Please Sponsor Me

JustGiving - Sponsor me now!

Wednesday 17 July 2013

Day 05 - Up Hill and Down Dale

Haworth to Thornton in Craven

Today's miles -13.3
Today's Ascent - 2959
Today's Descent - 3254
Total Miles so Far -71.7
Star Team Member - Caitlin & Mam, for their excellent singing of ABBA classics to keep spirits up*. Oh, and we will throw Pads in there too.


* I have deliberately NOT given Star Team Member to Sherpa Dad, as he already presumes he is Star Team Member. So there! 

I have just had a text from my Grandad to say he can not wait for my blog to be published, so for the sake of his sore index finger (continuously pressing the refresh button on this page) I will begin...

Today was a bit of a let down really. Dad promised us only 8 miles but we ended us doing 12.8, because he 'miscalculated'. Rest assured, dear blog reader, both Mam and I told him how upset and disappointed we were with him. Nevertheless, ever willing we continued out of Haworth, to start Day 5....

We walked along the road and passed a reservoir on the left (I have noticed, Yorkshire likes it's reservoirs!) We turned off the road and climbed a big hill out of Haworth towards Cowling.   
Climbing Out of Haworth


We passed a large rusty tractor on the way upwards and Dad took my picture (a great excuse for a break too!). We continued to climb upwards until we reached the top. But as I always say, for every uphill, there must be a downhill. So, we slowly descended into village No 1, Cowling. Dad's SatMap said the village had a pub, and it was about 12:30, so this was a perfect lunch stop.
Which way is Kirk Yelthom?

Upon reaching Cowling, we found the pub had closed three weeks ago and that there wasn't a village shop or even a bench to sit on. I think it is fair to say that Cowling was a major let down.

We walked out of Cowling and stopped in a field for our break. Mam rubbed her feet and I had an oat bar, a bit dissapointing after the promised chips and diet coke, but oh well! We walked along by a beck but could find no way for Paddy to get in it, but I scouted ahead and found a steep thorny way to get down. Pads had a splash and we proceeded onwards.

We got to a field with some cows in, and as you probably know, dogs and cows aren't the best of friends. Here is my guide, which is practically foolproof and always works to avoiding these nasty clashes. This is what we do;

Caitlin's Guide to avoiding Cow/Dog clashes
1) Send a (un)willing person through the field (in our case Dad, or as we call him in these sticky situations, Farmer Giles.) Get a stick to lengthen their arm and make them herd the cows away from the path.

2) Keep your vulnerable dog hidden (behind wall, bush, fence, etc...)

3) once the coast is clear, get the cow herder at the other end of the field to yell your dogs name, then the person at the gate lets the dog off and it runs very fast through the field.

Hey presto! Safe and happy dog and bemused cows.

Easy Navigation

Paddy successfully through the field, we continued on. I realised that I had left my sunglasses somewhere and walked back. I couldn't find them so Dad went all the way back, with me to where we had our break. We eventually found them where I had let him in the stream.
Mam went onwards, but only got about 1/4 of a mile because she got lost.

Keep Following the PW Signs Mam!
We dropped down in to village No 2, Lothersdale, where there was also a pub- hurrah! Chips and coke at last. When we reached the pub it was closed and the sun continued to beam down. We bitterly thought what could have been, but we stopped at one of the houses and they filled our water bottle up though.

Lothersdale (pub shut)

Water bottle full we began to climb the last hill of the day in the baking heat. We got to the top and began to descend down to the final destination. Dad went ahead with Pads to find a stream, while Mam and I made our way down singing an ABBA medley, keeping spirits high.

Last Hill of the Day

We reached the village in the hot sun worn out and tired, to find the nice man from the hotel had come to pick us up, as there was no available accommodation for the night in Thornton in Craven.

Overall a good day in the baking hot sun. Tomorrow we go to Malham- see you then!

Caitlin x
N.B I would just like to say a big congratulations to my amazing sister who has just been promoted to a 2nd lieutenant Officer in the Cadets. Well done!


No comments:

Post a Comment