Please Sponsor Me

JustGiving - Sponsor me now!

Thursday 1 August 2013

Day 20 - Back to Reality...

Bellingham to Byness


Today's miles: 16.4
Today's Ascent: 3195
Today's Descent: 2890
Total miles so far: 249.5
Star team member:  Mam for getting over her blues, and helping others through theirs!


Today, I had my moment of fame! No, I was not pictured on the telly, trudging through peat bogs covered in blood, sweat and tears (I look like this everyday, but clean myself up for the pictures!), no, my name was not printed in large on a poster streaming from an aeroplane, but I was on the radio! Yes, me, on the radio!

Anyway, back to more normal matters. Today we had 16 miles to walk, 3 times more pain than yesterday! It was really tough. It wasn't like we were gentle eased in from, say, 12 miles to 16 miles, oh no. We had yesterday's 5 mile stroll and then BAM! 16.4 (Oh yes, that point 4 makes ALL the difference!) miles. Quite a difference. 

We walked into Bellingham and bought some more chocolate for the journey (that is all we survive on, no really!) and I bought 2 'Aussie 3 minute miracle hair re-constructor' sachets for tonight- Both Mam and I are in need of a bit of luxury! We carried them to stop Dad complaining, and we walked out of Bellingham and walked along the road for a while.

Leaving Bellingham

We turned off into some fields and I got a call from Lisa, at the NEAS asking if I wanted to to a radio interview. Did I say yes? (Well you already know I did) Of course I did! We started to walk upwards when BBC Newcastle rang, and I did my interview having done 3 miles. I was a bit nervous, but everyone was really supportive and lovely. Stardom over, but the show must go on! *bu dum ch* Get it? *sigh* Never mind....

A way to go!

We walked up to our first hill, but still had a way to go. The weather was overcast, but warm and humid, and we plodded on. We walked down from the top of our first hill onto some limestone pavements, which we quickly powered along. Dad calls them escalators, except you still have to move to actually get anywhere. We passed some ponies, who were very interested in Paddy, but Farmer Giles, using my walking pole, turned round and pointed at them menacingly. Help Factor; 0. 

Exmoor poines, a long way from home
Up and over the top we stopped to have our lunch, then plodded on. We dropped down and had a steep climb, sticking to the edge of the forest, we knew what we had to do, and we got on with it. With the cows on the other side we walked on to reach the top. 

A bleak view
The view was lovely, if not a bit bleak. Little did we know the hell that was coming...

The man eating bogs. They went on and on and on and on and on.... forever! They were deep and squelchy, with no way round them, it would be fine if they went on for 10 minutes, but no, we squelched through for 1 hour and a half. 2 and a half miles usually takes us about 1 hour, but it was so difficult it took us an extra 30 mins. It was truly horrible, Mam was felling really down in the dumps, but at the sight of a well anticipated road we all cheered up. 

With 5 mile to go on the road, we kept our speed up and walked along the yellow brick road. I hit rock bottom. There is no other way to put it. I cried and said I wanted it to stop and I wanted to go home. Mam reminded me of who I was doing it for, and why, and after a bit of singing, my spirits were back to normal. 

Follow the yellow brick road

After stopping to fuel up on chocolate eclairs we marched on the road and entered Kielder Forest. This was probably the nicest part of the walk, even when the midges were out. Paddy had a swim and there were plenty of sticks for him to catch, and coming out of the forest we crossed a bridge and walked along the road to what was supposedly Byrness, but no. Byrness was another half a mile along a woodland path! Oh how my feet ached! Every step was painful and the road seemed to go on forever, but eventually we got to our B and B, to be greeted by our two lovely hosts, who made an amazing curry.

Byrness at last (except Byrness was 0.5 miles form here)
The Aussie hair mask ended up staying on for 30 seconds, instead of 3 minutes, as Mam complained I was using all the hot water. Anyway, I am in need of a long sleep to get ready for tomorrow...

To listen to me on the radio click on this link; http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p01ckbln (I am on after 1hour 14 minutes - only available for 7 days)

See you tomorrow for the penultimate day, hopefully there will be some reception but I am not sure.

Caitlin :-)


2 comments:

  1. Great to hear your radio interview Caitlin! What a lot of experiences you are having, hope the last few miles are smooth and mud free. All the best Mrs C : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just listened to your radio interview too, Caitlin, what a pro!
    Well done and the end is in sight.
    I bet you're looking forward to a good sleep in your own bed on Sunday?

    ReplyDelete